Here’s the complete jacket, with some extra large big black buttons that were previously on my cape’s pockets. You’ll remember last time that I’d got to the stage of sewing the lining to the main coat. The lining needs to be attached to the main coat backwards, with both wrong sides on the outside. This is super mind-melting!
First, match the seams up and pin it all the way round, sew the edge of the lining to the edge of the coat, leaving a small gap at the hem.
Pull the sleeves out so that they’re on the outside, and match the seams on the ends. This was the trickiest part of the whole make for me!
Pin it really carefully, and flatten it out as you’re going to sew around the edge of the sleeves.
Sew both of the sleeves like this. Your whole coat should now be joined together at the sides and sleeves like this:
It was at this point I was slightly worried that I’d done something wrong, because I couldn’t figure out at all how this was going to work.
But… It did! You see there’s a little gap at the bottom where the lining isn’t sewn to the coat? Well, stock your hand through there and grab the coat by the collar, and pull the whole coat through the whole. It will flip inside out, and the lining will sit inside the sleeves like MAGIC!
Yes! Nearly finished. Just a little bit of sewing on the hem and buttons.
My buttons are super huge, so I had to sew my own buttonholes without the buttonhole foot – eek! But, it’s pretty easy once you figure out the width of the stitches that you’d like, and then just draw two straight lines, and finish the edges with some wider stitches, sewing over to reinforce it.
Here we go!
If I were to sew this again, I would trim the lining down by about 1/4″ to make sure it sits under the main coat, as it’s a little bit too big on the inside, and is peeking out of the bottom slightly. (It might have said this in the instructions and I didn’t notice). This is also due to the thickness of the fabric, and to minimise this I’ve added a few stitches at the sides and over the seams, just to secure the lining in place.
But overall I’m really pleased with it!
Unfortunately, mini was NOT up for it.
In fact she was really not into modelling. It hasn’t helped that it’s been pouring with rain constantly for the last few days (as usual).
Slightly sarcastic smile.
I tried to get her to do a pose where you point to your cheek… this was the result.
The back looks pretty good too!
So there it is – outerwear: done. Next time… Waterproofs!