Okay, it’s a week later than I said, but I’ve finished up one for the two Siamese cat tops that are destined for someone else’s closet. I took a little detour by designing my own dress (Nancy, you can see her here), because I couldn’t downsize the original to fit the 0-3m size that was requested, so I really had no option other than buying a new pattern (nope) or making my own (I suppose so).
Anyway – after some world-class fannying about and going through several variations of little patterns – including a reversible version which in no way worked out how I had hoped – I managed to steer myself back on to the task at hand. .
Don’t get me wrong, I’m really flattered and grateful that people think that my stuff is worth commissioning, and it’s great that I get so much positive feedback, but I just find it really stressful and terribly time consuming. I really want to get it as close to perfect as I can.
So here it is, a moderated Glass Onion To featuring a gathered front and back, popper closure to the back (or y’all can call them snaps), and as a super bonus feature I’ve even lined it in a plain cream quilting cotton, which I do think is an improvement on the original, even if it means a clumsy seam mid-way round the dress where the lining and main dress are sewn together with a faux-overlock stitch/ (Fauxverlocked – I’m keeping it). I brainstormed different options with Helen at sewing class, but this really was the best way of doing it.
The sleeve set-in isn’t quite right, mainly due to sewing the whole bodice together, trimming the seams and then realising I had to attach the sleeves, so that was the first in a series if bummers that made this project take 3x longer than it should.
The lining was tricky, I tried a ‘stitch in the ditch’ around the sleeve seam – basically sewing along the join from the bodice and sleeve to attach the lining to the dress, but it was totally wobbly and slipped off, so I unpicked it and slipstitched it by hand.
My hand sewing looks like a monkey did it. With his feet.
I tried some cute mini-pompom edging in cream, took an hour to add it really neatly, and I was super pleased with it, til I ironed the dress and it totally melted the trim.
I really hate it when things fuck up right at the last minute.
So I unpicked it and opted for some bright pink cotton ricrac instead – not my first choice as I think cream would have toned down the brightness of the pink, but it’s all I had, and by that point pfft. Plus, I think the recipient of this top is really a friend to the pinkness, so hopefully will love it.
Then, I pinned it really carefully and it slipped all over the place cos it was awful and slippery, but I kinda went with it and decided to go with it, even though it’s really uneven, i think overall it looks okay.
Hey, I’m just a beginner, so it’s not going to be perfect, and at least I have that.
Then there’s this, which is version two, also beset with problems (forgetting to sew the sides shut and having to unpick a trimmed, fauxverlocked waist seam and resewing it, and it isn’t finished yet).
So overall I learnt an important lesson: sewing for other people will suck up all your time and confidence. I vow never to do this again*, and I’m pretty sure I never want to see this fabric again.
*except I have promised my bestie a pair of flannel pyjamas for her boy’s third birthday, but that’s not til December and i might change my mind by then.