Hey it’s been a while since I’ve been able to update my blog – few changes happening and for a while life got in the way of blogging, and sewing, y’know? Well a little update on me, I’ve been busy getting myself a new little flat, new job, new romance, so unfortunately all my projects were packed away, and it took a while for them to come out of storage! I have been a pretty big lazy-ass but I have finally managed to turn my attention back round to my passion, and it felt sooo good to get the machine out again.
I kicked things back off again with a small little swing top that I’ve been thinking about doing for a while… I’m still itching to use up the pieces in my stash so I found a cute half-metre-ish piece that i got from a clearout at Frumble, its another roll-end piece.
You know me, I never can resist an awkwardly shaped sale piece! Anyway, it’s back in stock, it’s called Vintage Groove Looper in green, although the overall effect is more pale/pinky brown than green.
I was super lucky at Christmas too, I had a bumper stash of sewing books (I’m so easy to buy for), so I’ve dipped into one for this simple peasant top.
I’m using the Girls Style Book by Yoshiko Tsukiori, which is a really simple, effortlessly chic book filled with practical yet feminine outfits for girls. It’s more or less a translation of the Japanese original, and the instructions are really easy to follow (if you have some basic sewing knowledge). The patterns are a little confusing, as are most printed pattern sheets from books like this – but if you concentrate and trace off the pattern you can then just use that again instead of getting the massive sheet out again.
There’s some pretty nice diagrams as you can see, and though I wouldn’t recommend it for absolute beginners, there’s enough in here to keep me occupied for the moment! I also like that there’s some small changes made between the designs which give them a really different feel, it just reminds you what a difference the fabric and trim can make to an outfit.
The top’s part of a two-piece outfit (I’ll get to the shorts one day), and it’s a loose fit, 60s/70s style with a long tie, two pieces gathered at the back around the neck, and a v-neck cut into one piece at the front.
I managed to match up the pattern pretty well down the seam (okay it’s not perfect, but I was pretty happy). The gathers sit pretty well on the neckline too, which help give it that swingy, hippy style.
I was also pleased that I managed to keep the design fairly straight on the top – with such a strong geometric pattern, it’d look really obvious if it wasn’t quite right. I’m glad for my previous experience in pattern matching because I’ve become a lot more conscious of the flow of the pattern through the fabric.
As usual, the bias biding I made to go round the neck and armholes was pretty wobbly, and the sewing even worse. I just can’t get on with making my own bias binding, it’s just not my favourite thing at all and I always rush it and do a really crap job. Ho hum. It’s something I’m working on… I think I should just stock up on a few colours of pre-made bias so at least I don’t have to go through the faff of making it myself, but if you’ve got any tips for making me love bb, please let me know!
So, a pretty simple and quick sew – only taking an hour or two from pattern cutting to finishing, with the bias taking the most amount of time. I cut it in an age 4, which is absolutely huge on mini, and she instantly took against it. It sorta looks like a maternity top on her (she’s still got that pot-belly, aww), so maybe that’s why she hates it. Still… gonna get a few years of wear out of it! I’ve decided to cut down on buying more fabric as there’s plenty that I can use up to make her a few bits.
Let’s see if I can keep to my ambition of sewing and posting more often!