I know what you’re thinking, I have too much time on my hands. But this was really bugging me, and I was getting some serious horror show vibes off her, with her weirdly naked body and cold dead eyes. Yeah I know she’s got a toothpaste face, but trust me, it’s so crusted on now it’s never gonna come off.
So, this is Molly Dolly. She’s a soft-bodied My First Baby Born doll that I got for mini last Christmas. She came with a crappy little velcro bodysuit that got lost within a day, and I’m too cheap to buy her any more clothes (they cos more than the dolls, eh).
I did a quick google for some free patterns onlune, but no luck, and I really didn’t wanna disappear down a doll dressmaking rabbit hole, so I just sucked it up and started my own.
I had a couple of half-metres of candy stripe polycotton that I posted last week which is just about spot on for a girly set of pjs. It’s sort of a make-it-up-as-you-go-along job, but I’ll try and take you through the process as much as I can…
First up, I did a rough outline of the doll’s body, to make sure that the legs and arms are going to be wide enough to fit all the parts – she has some fingers that stick out, and quite chubby thighs that need to fit the whole length of the arm/legholes.
Also, she doesn’t have any shoulders, so I’m going to try and compensate for this by adding some gathering to the top of the sleeves.
First I drafted the legs of the pyjamas, and I’m making the distance from the leg to the middle seam quite deep because this little baby’s got a rather large beany bum which we need to accommodate for. I’m also making the trousers the same on the front and back so they will fit either way round.
Because the seam allowances are itty bitty (0.5cm ish), I’ve made life a lot easier for myself by zigzagging the seams of all the pieces before putting them together. I slipped off the edges a few times, but that shouldn’t matter too much as this outfit shouldn’t be going through the washing machine too much.
I’ve elasticated the trousers for a snug fit, and to make them easy to pull off, and lots of room for manoeuvre. They’re quite full at the front, but like I said that’s so they’ll fit either way around.
The front is a simple jacket front with a little bit folded back to make the facing on the buttons and the collar. I’ve sewn down the edges of the collar, and added some Kam snaps, though you could use velcro or buttons to fasten the top instead.
I’m actually really pleased with this, it came out a lot better than I thought. Needless to say, I found the original baby gro the next day.
Anyway, I’m going to try and scan in the pattern so that it’s downloadable if any other losers out there want to make their own set of pyjamas for a tiny doll.
At least I managed to get a picture of mini hugging her, she gets really Wednesday Addams around this doll, when she puts her to bed she holds the duvet down over its face. Creepy.