I had another bash at making the 70’s point collar dress, as I got so many compliments the first time round. This time, I tried to make it look a bit different, and about half-way through I changed my mind… then I changed it back again. So it was a bit of a back and forth type deal, but it turned out okay in the end.
I’m using a candy pink 100% cotton by Moda from the Bella solids range, it’s called 30’s pink, and is £6/m. I started by cutting out and taping together the pattern, and then very carefully adding the seam allowances.
Last time I added a 5/8″ (1.5cm) seam all over, and I think this was a little easier for me, as this time round I added the recommended 3/6″ in places, and 5/8″ in other places, and it was just a little bit confusing as I kept forgetting what I was doing.
Here I am adding the seam allowance. i like to draw round the pattern piece with one colour chalk, and then add the seam allowance with another. i measure it out with my handy-dandy seam gauge, and neaten it up with a ruler. I’m using Wonder Clips to keep the pattern straight, they are great for printed pdf patterns where it’s hard to push pins through A4 paper and Sellotape.
Here it is part-way through. I’m not sure what I did wrong, but the collar ended up overlapping, and the waist seam was a bit wobbly, which it wasn’t last time. i guess it was a problem with measuring, or that the fabric was actually quite stretchy once it had been handled a bit. I thought I might finish it with a rainbow ribbon across the front, then I changed my mind, found a spare hour and was able to finish it with some white binding and poppers.
Yeah, it needs an iron I know! The edging is a bit rushed and quite wobbly, but I don’t care, it’s gonna get covered in felt pen and food soon enough!
it was super hard to add the edging on the sleeves when it was all sewn together – I don’t recommend it! Much easier to sew it before you finish the sides! I also messed up the corners of the collar a bit, they’re not very sharp, but again, I don’t care.
You can see in this photo, it’s a bit wobbly and there’s lots of loose threads, but this wasn’t quite finished.
I added some Kam snaps (no suprises there!), just to finish it off, although only the top one is an actual popper, the rest are just for decoration as I didn’t really need them to fasten.
Here’s the finished outfit, looking pretty cute with the slightly longer length than the first version. I think it has a great sporty, 70’s tennis dress feel to it, and it’s lovely and cool for this time of year!